Monday, October 11, 2010

Mastering Weight Loss!




Years ago when my husband needed to go on a weight loss diet he made the statement that he needed to "talk to himself" in order to get in the "diet mode." I asked him what he said but he never would tell me.

Over the years in reading books about weight loss and checking out various diets, I have come across what I think he was referring to. What I do is give myself and my body commands that will help me to master weight loss and overcome bad eating habits.  This is what I started doing:

First I pick a time when I am sure I will not be interrupted.  I sit in my easy chair, relax and start to talk to myself.  In this procedure over time, I begin to gain confidence in the fact that I can lose weight and this is what I say:

"I can lose weight."
"I will not accept defeat."
"I will not let food rule over me, I am master of the food I eat."
"I will not give in to overeating."
"I am in charge of my eating habits."
"I will eat until I am pleasantly full and then I will stop no matter what is left on my plate or the table."
"I will not allow myself to be tempted to overeat."
"I will be satisfied with the food I have eaten and I will be happy."
"I will not be tempted by food when it is not time to eat."
"I am able to lose weight slowly."
"I do not have to have sweets at every meal or between meals."

This is just a sample of what I say to myself.  I keep repeating the fact that I can lose weight and that I will not accept defeat.  I had to do this several times a day to begin with, but as time passed by my confidence began to grow and I have been able to lose weight. 

I do not try to lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week if that much.  I don't want to lose too fast because it is not good for my body.  Usually, I try not to tell anyone I am on a weight loss diet.  Any time I do, people begin to notice what I eat and make comments, sometimes they are good, but not always.  I lose a few pounds first and then when people began to notice and ask what I am doing, I might tell them what I am doing or I might not. 

Some people need a companion to help them and keep them accountable, but I do better when I lose weight on my own without people watching every bite of food I put in my mouth.

Whatever way a person chooses to lose weight, just know that it can be done and it will happen if we keep at it and gain confidence in ourselves that weight loss is possible.  There may be times when I don't lose weight, I get busy and don't encourage myself, but I don't let it discourage me, I just start again and the weight begins to comes off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment